Edinburgh Woollen Mill was founded by Drew Stevenson in 1946 as the Langholm Dyeing and Finishing Company, undertaking the dyeing of yarn on a contract basis.
The development into retailing began in 1970, when the company opened its first shop in Randolph Place, Edinburgh.
In November 2020, Edinburgh Woollen Mill was placed into administration. In January 2021, it was announced that Edinburgh Woollen Mill and Bonmarché had been bought out of administration by a consortium of international investors who will inject fresh funds into the business (led by the existing management team).
For the latest news about Edinburgh Woollen Mill, see our related stories below company information.