One of the world’s largest apparel, footwear and accessories companies, VF Corp, has announced its sustainable packaging goals, including the aim to eliminate all single-use plastic packaging by 2025.
All remaining non-plastic packaging used by VF and its brands will be reduced, originate from sustainable sources, and be designed for reuse or recyclability.
The focus on sustainable packaging is a critical component of VF’s global sustainability strategy, which hopes to:
- Eliminate all single-use plastic packaging by 2025. All remaining packaging will be reduced, originate from sustainable sources, and be designed for reuse or recyclability.
- All single-use plastics in product packaging will be 100% recycled, biobased content, or a combination of the two by 2023.
- All paper-based packaging will be recycled content (minimum 80%, where performance allows), third-party certified virgin content, or a combination of the two by 2023.
- Commit to leadership in crucial industry coalitions and policy initiatives to build circular packaging infrastructure that will enable its 2025 pledge.
Jeannie Renné-Malone, VP of Global Sustainability for VF, said: “With a portfolio comprising some of the world’s most iconic apparel and footwear brands, we recognise we play an important role as environmental stewards and can serve as a catalyst for industry movements that drive positive change.
“Our new global packaging goals are an example of how we can leverage our scale for significant impact. In just one year, we could potentially eliminate as many as 100 million polybags from our packaging waste.”
VF is a long-standing participant of Canopy’s Pack4Good initiative, committing that its paper packaging doesn’t contain materials from Endangered Forests or other controversial sources and reduces overall forest material consumption for packaging.
VF has also gone further to establish how it will push sustainability throughout its brands:
- All VF-owned distribution centres will be zero-waste by 1 April 2021.
- Implement sustainability best practices in its internal and external sponsored events.
- VF’s icebreaker brand has an ambitious goal to be plastic-free by 2023, eradicating synthetics from its entire product collection.
- VF’s Timberland brand has outlined a vision for its products to have a net positive impact by 2030.