Retail charity retailTRUST has appointed New Look executive chairman Alistair McGeorge at the new Chair of its Board of Trustees.
McGeorge takes over on 1 December from Terry Duddy, previously CEO of Home Retail Group and currently a Senior Independent Director of both Debenhams and Hammerson, who has stood down after four years in the role.
“I am pleased to become the Chair of Trustees at retailTRUST. The Charity has for 186 years provided great comfort and support to everyone involved in retail. Over the last twenty years or more it has been my pleasure to support it in all of the businesses with which I have been involved. I thank Terry for his capable stewardship and look positively towards the future, taking the Trust forward at a time when its services are going to be needed and valued more than ever before,” McGeorge said.
The appointment of McGeorge comes after the charity, which offers well-being services, vocational and career development programmes and retirement homes, comes after a number of Trustee appointments:
- – Brian Small joined in September and has been appointed as Treasurer. Brian Small is currently the Chief Financial Officer at JD Sports Fashion.
- – Amanda Cox joined in February and is currently the People and Services Director at Dunelm Group.
- – David McCorquodale joined in September and was previously the Head of Retail at KPMG.
- – Maria Thompson joined in February and was previously the Group Commercial Supply Chain Director at Sainsbury’s and Argos.
- – Gita North joined in June and is currently a partner with First Friday.
Duddy said of his departure: “I have enjoyed my time as Chair of the Trust and thank my fellow Trustees and the staff for their support in delivering our significant achievements together over the last four years. I am pleased to be handing over to Alistair who has been a long-term supporter of the Trust. I wish everyone involved, every success for the future. A warm welcome also to David McCorquodale and Brian Small who joined us in September as Trustees.”
McGeorge joined New Look a year ago to execute its turnaround strategy, having previously served as the retailer’s executive and then non-executive chairman between 2011 and 2014. His other high profile roles include CEO of Matalan and Littlewoods.
retailTRUST Richard Boland said: “I would like to thank Terry Duddy for his major contribution as Chair to the Trust over the last four years and welcome Alistair, a ‘trusted friend to the Charity of longstanding,’ as its new Chair of Trustees.”